Monday, February 28, 2011

Putts, Spider Webs, and Koi

 I laid the spider web quilt top out on the floor to see the finished product (in case you can't tell, I put a few flying geese down each side) and Putts had to investigate.  She often "helps" me quilt, consequently pet hair is one of my distinguishing marks.  I apologize if I give you a quilt with hair, but with Putts "helping" at every step of the way and the 2 dogs vying for attention, every stitch seems to have a bit of padding.  It is especially noticeable (at least to me) in the hand quilting and applique because I have to take off my glasses and get very close in order to sew and I see every hair... 

This wallhanging is for Dick, my brother in law.  I know he likes oriental gardens so when I saw these Kaufmann panels, I thought that he might like them as a wallhanging in his home office.  I used Maywood Shadowplay fabric as the sashing and appliqued the circles.  I didn't want to have it machine quilted as I wanted the piece to be more open, so I used big stitches and hand quilted it using some gold colored silk thread.  I hand quilted the inside and outside of each seam and around the inside and outside of the circles and along the koi stream.  These pictures aren't terribly good as they were taken on the floor of the library as I was trying to get the best light after dark to take the pictures.  I did learn that the Maywood shrunk more than the panels after I laundered it (to get rid of the majority of cat hair) so I put rod pockets at the top and bottom of the back hoping that it will hang flatter with 2 rods.  I enjoyed making it and I think he will like it.  It's a good thing to bring your gardens inside in February in Vermont.  To that end, I have in progress a much wilder garden hanging for my wall too.  Next time.       

3 comments:

  1. Really pretty Sue. I know Dick will LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue, I love the looks of your spider web quilt,in part because of the colors. (I'm stuck in blue and red lately, using up old fabrics). Did you do the spider web in the liberated style? By sewing strips together, then cutting the diamonds? Thanks, Kathleen in Ct

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dick does absolutely love the quilt- he made me hang it right away! It's a wonderful thing to have a bit of outside brought in, as he hasn't had much access to the outdoors lately from his wheelchair. Again, thank you so much! It's beautiful and the perfect colors for his office!

    ReplyDelete