It's deep winter in Michigan and we have had much more snow than has been usual the last few years. This is our lab, Einstein, coming onto the deck through about 18" of snow. We got about 6" last night and consequently I backed out of the drive this morning and promptly was completely stuck in the snow in the unplowed road... Yes! I came in and called work. I love unplanned "free" days.
The quilt is big, 86x91, long arm quilted with "tossed tulips", and bound with multicolored red strips. I tea-dyed white muslin for the back... and learned a lesson. One shouldn't use a cast iron frying pan to hold the fabric underneath the tea. It left black stains on the fabric... but most of it washed out and it just added to the overall mottled look.
12 of the turkey track blocks, started at Quilter's Night Out in October, are done. I used various greens and a bright kona red for the centers. I learned how to back baste, which I had been wanting to do for some time, and understand when it might be useful to use the technique. However, I really enjoy appliqueing without all the hoopla and prep work, so for the most part, I will just continue cutting a 3/16" seam allowance and enjoying the folk art look of my hand applique. I plan to donate these blocks to the guild for the silent auction at the next quilt show in spring 2015.