Saturday, October 24, 2009

Crazy quilt legacy

I finished my first crazy quilt square tonight and I'm pretty happy with it. I am taking a class in crazy quilting because I really wanted to learn some more complicated embroidery stitches. We had one class last month and the next one is tomorrow. I will start another square then. This square has 2 pieces of cross stitch, silk ribbon work, cotton, wool, and rayon threads, wool yarn, a piece of blanket binding, old lace and linen, beads, buttons, charms, hand felted beads, and many types of fabric. It has taken many hours of work, and many parts of it, I did twice or three times, until I was happy with it. Here's a close-up of the center cross stitch piece. I used this saying for the theme and created lots of flowers throughout the piece.
I have been thinking about my legacy lately. I had a dear friend pass away earlier this month. She was full of life. I have been helping her daughter get her home ready for an estate sale this week. My friend was a true craftsperson. However that meant she had a lot of stuff. After sorting and boxing her stuff, I came home and tried to make some sense of mine. It takes a lot of stuff to weave baskets, quilt, cross stitch, loom weave, and do a little beading. So I boxed stuff and labeled it, so that if necessary, at least my family would know what was in the boxes. But I know that my friend's legacy is not her stuff, but the love of her children, stepchildren, friends, and neighbors. I saw it this week in their faces, and their tears, and heard the memories.
You have a well deserved rest, but we miss you terribly.

No comments:

Post a Comment